Pages

Tuesday 4 June 2013

The bird who shops around catches the cheapest worm

I've been to Somerset Mall quite a few times the past few weeks, and I have noticed a few things that I'd love to share. These tips will help you to buy the best possible item for the cheapest possible price. Studente sonder sente...

1. take a stroll
This is probably the most important tip. Take a stroll around the mall before you buy anything! Go in all the shops you would go into, as well as the ones you wouldn't. Take a look around, see what you like, and remember the prices. By doing this, you will be able to apply the next steps. Start on one side of the mall, then work your way backwards.

2. look for good deals
When I go to Somerset Mall, I always park at the 'New Entrance' side. Yesterday as I was coming in, I saw a sale at Diva and immediately dragged Rijk over to go and have a look (haha, sorry Rijk). I normally can't afford Diva, but the sales are(sometimes) more realistic. This can be said for most expensive shops, no matter what they sell. If you see a sale sign, no matter what shop it is, get in there! Rather be safe than sorry!
Shops like Poetry and Old Khaki I don't even bother going in to because I know I can't afford ANYTHING. Here's something I learnt: go in anyway. You might just find something you love that's not over-priced. Also, it's bound to be better quality than the cheapie at Mr Price. And there's of course the bonus that you wont see 17 people in one trip to the mall wearing the same thing as you. 

Here's an example of a scarf that I found on Old Khaki's site. It's only R75, and considering that the infinity scarves at Cotton On are back to their normal price of R60, I think that's pretty affordable. All the scarves at both of the above mentioned shops are beautiful colours and really nice and soft. Of course there are the more expensive ones, but if you want to pay less, be prepared to go the extra mile and check every single scarf's price tag. In the end it's totally worth it anyway.

3. know the average price
Staying on the topic of scarves, on the surface R75 for a scarf seems like a LOT! But by shopping around, I've come to realize that you don't get scarves for under R50. It makes no sense really - all it is, is a rectangular piece of material... Anyway. If I only went to Old Khaki and saw R75 for a scarf I'd say hells nah and not even consider buying it. By shopping around, you get an idea of what different items cost. This allows you to know a good deal when you see one. An item on sale at Diva could be R80 (half price from R160) and you will probably think YES great deal, SOLD. But if you take the 15minute walk to Womans' Street, you could find a very similar piece for even less than Diva's reduced price.

4. find something similar for way cheaper
Like I said in no.3, what's in fashion is not just sold at one shop. I have the most absolutely perfect example of this. I saw a pair of boots that I loved at Edgars. Less than 10 minutes later, I saw THE EXACT SAME BOOTS at Fashion Express! I'm not even exaggerating. I found this picture of the boots I'm talking about on the Edgars site, except they were black with black glitter. I'm sure I don't have to mention that the ones from Edgars were more expensive.

5. sometimes expensive doesn't mean quality
We often think 'ag, I'll buy the more expensive tights from Woolies because they'll be better quality and last longer'. Yes, this is often the case, but not always! For my 18th birthday, my Mom bought me a stunning silvery ring from Diva that I love. Anything from Diva is expensive, so you expect it to be good quality, right? WRONG! The ring is still perfect at the front, but the back has gone this horrible rusted copper colour! I bought silver beaded bracelets at Diva for my matric dance, and the colour has rubbed off and left this black smudge through the beads. I can't wear either of these anymore. What a waste!
I bought a cute ring on sale at Cotton On last week. 
It literally only cost R20. 
I love it almost as much as I love the ring from Diva, but the difference is that I won't be so upset if the colour rubs off because I only paid R20 for it. 
Same thing with the Essence nail polish. You don't mind as much if your nails chip within two days because you only paid R20 for the nailpolish. 
My Mom bought a packet of silver beads for under R10 at the PNA and made me a new bracelet exactly the same as the one from Diva.
Very often, shops that many people nowadays see as 'cheap' or 'lower-class' such as Jet and Ackermans actually have really great stuff! I recommend Jet for heels and Ackermans for boots, and Pep has cheap, colourful jewelry. On the plus side, because people think they're too cool to shop there, you won't find 5 girls in your tut of 20 people wearing the same pumps as you.

6. buy ASAP
This is a difficult one, but it's also worth it. Sometimes I see something cheap that I love and I have to use my savings and promise to replace the amount at the end of the month with my pocket money. You can also borrow money from your parents, grandparents, older cousins or friends. In our family, I can also wash the car or the dishes to get money from my parents. 
The reasons why you need to try and buy asap is because sales don't last forever, and things get sold out. While I was in Cotton On yesterday, I wanted to buy another colour infinity scarf, but the sale had ended and they were no longer R40 but rather R60. Booooooooo

So those are my tips! You can even apply them in that order: take a stroll around, look for good deals, know the average price to compare things to, find something similar for cheaper, remember that expensive doesn't mean quality, and try and buy as soon as possible.

From my quick look around Somerset Mall yesterday, here are some of the places having sales at the moment:
DIVA : up to 50% off selected jewelry
COTTON ON : mens' and ladies' accessories
EDGARS : mens' and ladies' blazers (and lots of other things too)

Happy saving, and happy shopping!
Roxy X

No comments:

Post a Comment